This post provides an extended list of other, recent posts of current interest. These other posts are sorted by date, with the most recent in the list being first. They can be a mix of different categories (e.g., events, field trips, book reviews, or articles written by professional nature journalists, local authors, or chapter members).
What else can I expect to find here? This web page is a container for an extended list of recent posts that were either once featured on the homepage (i.e., marked with the category Featured) or that were posted when there was an overflow of recent posts being posted on the website (i.e., there are at most ten slots for featured posts on the homepage).
Other Recent Posts
- This upcoming evening program is at 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, 12 April 2017. Our April speaker, Chuck Hathcock, is a wildlife biologist currently working for the Department of Energy as the lead for Biological Resources Management. His passions are in wildlife conservation and understanding bird population demographics. Link to Event Read about it Description of his… Continue Reading … » » »
- Special Lecture and Booksigning Speaker: Peter Marra When: Friday, April 7, 7:00 PM Where: Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Santa Fe, 107 W Barcelona Rd. Description: Peter Marra, both an ornithologist and conservation biologist, will talk about his new book Cat Wars that tells the story of the threats free-ranging cats pose to biodiversity and public health… Continue Reading … » » »
- Number of species: 77 New to count: Northern Saw-whet Owl Unusual: Common Loon, Swamp Sparrow, Barrow’s Goldeneye High numbers: (None to speak of) Low numbers: Dark-eyed Junco, Lewis’s Woodpecker, House Sparrow Missed birds: Mourning Dove, Pine Siskin The Espanola count produced 77 species this year (see attached list below), the lowest in about 12 years,… Continue Reading … » » »
- We had a very successful Santa Fe Christmas Bird Count (SF CBC) on Dec. 30. We saw 86 species, which is far more than then the average, and more than the highest count of 77 species in 2012. This is due to each and every one of you! There were 51 people participating (see attached… Continue Reading … » » »
- Author: Bernd Heinrich Published by: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt From the book jacket: In his modern classics One Man’s Owl and Mind of the Ravens, Bernd Heinrich has written memorably about his relationships with wild ravens and a Great Horned Owl In One Wild Bird at a Time, Heinrich returns to his great love: close, day-to-day… Continue Reading … » » »